In 1889, a group of people became interested in establishing a Christian Church in Newport. The group was led by Mr. T.S. Stephens, who was the Jackson County Sheriff at the time. Mr. Stephens contacted the Rev. R.S. Robertson of Tennessee, who came to Newport and led a month-long revival in August, 1889. The revival was a great success and resulted in the formation of the Newport Christian Church and Rev. Robertson was retained as its first minister.
The first church structure was a white frame building with classrooms, baptistery and bell tower and was built on property located at Third and Walnut Streets, which was formerly a blacksmith shop. Rev. Robertson was pastor of the church until December 1890 and was followed by the Rev. James Fuller. In 1892, the membership of the congregation was 90.
On April 16, 1906, the church was destroyed by a fire and the original building was replaced with a beautiful white rock church. Unfortunately, this structure was also destroyed by fire in October, 1914.
Under the leadership of Rev. G. A. Hoffman the congregation built a third church on the original site. This structure was a red brick building with beautiful stained glass windows. This third and present church building was dedicated on December 13, 1915.
The congregation of this church has been identified over the years by several names.
At its founding it was known as Newport Christian Church. At the time of the building of the second church it was called Called Central Christian Church.
The name, The First Christian Church, was placed on the corner stone of the third and present structure and later the congregation was identified as Disciples of Christ.
The congregation of First Christian wants to extend and invitation to all members and family and all past members to "Come on Home," and help us celebrate this special day in the life of our church.
Worship will begin at 10:30 a.m. with lunch being served following the worship service.