Suddenlink Cable Services has decided to continue carrying local news channel KAIT8 out of Jonesboro after meeting with four northeast Arkansas mayors, including Newport Mayor David Stewart.
Stewart told the Newport City Council that he felt very pleased with the meeting Monday night during the regularly scheduled council meeting. He advised that the representative flew in and stayed for three days, meeting with the mayors at Heber Springs, Searcy and Batesville as well. During the meeting, Stewart advised the representative that there are huge concerns with technology. “I told him that when we have an outage, we can’t reach anyone, we get a recording.” The mayor walked away from the meeting with six emergency numbers, including local technicians and their supervisors, that were given to the 911 call center for use in emergencies.
“We’re keeping KAIT,” Stewart advised, smiling.
During last month’s council meeting, the issue arose about the possibility of Suddenlink discontinuing carriage of the Jonesboro news channel, along with a few other local channels. The mayor had discussed the negotiation proceedings with the council and assured that he would continue trying to reach the Suddenlink corporate office to further discuss the need for the news station in Newport and surrounding areas. KAIT8 has served Jackson County for years as a source of local news and, more importantly, weather updates in events of severe weather. KAIT8 began announcing the possibilities of the channel not being available to Suddenlink customers a few months ago, advertising that it would still be available on their media app as well as online.