Former Mayor Wayne Beard is announcing his candidacy for Mayor of Newport.
Wayne Beard was Mayor of Newport from 1981to 1995. He listed his accomplishments during those years as follows:
1. City Sales Tax 1% approved by voters
2. An annual street overlay and drainage improvement program. (This program was not continued after I left office.)
3. Initiated negotiations for the State Prison.
4. Pursued and got Medallion to relocate to Newport. (New Owner: Shearer Foods)
5. Initiated a meeting to locate Bridger Coach (now Taylor-Made Ambulance).
6. 1990-1991 applied for and approved a Bond issue for the Central Fire Station and lowered our Fire Insurance Rating to a Class 3, which lowered homeowners insurance cost.
7. 1990-1991 Bond Issue for present Municipal Building
8. Initiated the installation o the 911 System for Newport and Jackson County.
9. Built a new Fire Station (and terminal) at Newport Airbase.
10. New Wastewater Treatment at Newport Airbase (Bio-Lac Plant)
11. New Wastewater Treatment Plant
12. Applied for and received a $250,000 grant to renovate homes for low income citizens of Newport. (This program was cancelled after I left office.)
13. On leaving office of Mayor, left the City with surplus funds.
He stated that if re-elected, he will see that the City finances and programs such as the street and drainage programs are re-instated.
Wayne is a retired army officer (Helicopter Pilot & Instructor)